A blog for the teacher-in-training!

A blog for the teacher-in-training!

Monday, September 26, 2011

Week 3 in Review

What a rollercoaster ride! Last week, I had my first observation. I was nervous that the class period being observed would not behave well and allow me (and themselves) to shine as brightly as possible, and I had good reason to feel that way. The classes that I have assumed responsibility for are very problematic in the area of classroom management. The very large number of students routinely talk during instruction, and they do not display any type of work ethic whatsoever. They simply do not care (yet).

When my University Supervisor (US) entered the class and sat in the back, it did not phase the students at all. They acted as horribly as they have on other days. I do not blame the little darlin's, to use a Van-ism; they have obviously not been taught to meet certain expectations in the classroom. I was trying my best - using the proximity method to influence behavior, speaking to kids who refused to work, and asking the class to listen before I gave instructions. However, both my US and I found that I ended up speaking over them in many cases, and repeating information too many times to count.

My US suggested that I stop and wait for them to be quiet before speaking, and that has been helping. Now, when students notice that I can't give them helpful instruction because a classmate is talking, they use peer pressure in a postive way to help silence the room. The only downside to this method is that I have had some interference from the Cooperating Teacher (CT), who likes to jump in and lecture during the momentary lull. The CT is unknowingly sabotaging my efforts (in several other ways, too), so a discussion is in order, most likely including my US for support.

The classroom management issues in a couple of my classes, combined with a wide range of students' abilities, have been a challenge. On the upside, several students have shown a marked increase of respect toward me, and that feels awesome. When a kid feels comfortable coming to you with questions, it's an awesome feeling!

Savvy Suggestion: You may have to assert your autonomy if you have an overbearing CT. Your US can help you to do so without stepping on your CT's toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment