A blog for the teacher-in-training!

A blog for the teacher-in-training!

Friday, October 21, 2011

I'm still here...

I don't know how many of you are following my student-teaching trek (I didn't put a counter on the blog because I didn't really want to know), but in case you were wondering why I haven't blogged...it's because I have been extraordinarily busy. You will hear your professors say that student-teaching is not an 8-3 (or similar hours) job. They know what they're talking about. You will be at school early and leave late, assuming you are putting your best effort into the experience. When you get home, you will still find yourself taking care of lesson-planning, etc. If you are also trying to work part-time, take classes, have a family, or other time-consuming areas of life, expect to be spread extremely thin. Then, add to that all the unpredictable occurrences in life, and you will feel like you're drowning some days. So, now that I have shared the reality of the schedule woes and explained my absence from blogging, here's what's new...
 
I had my first experience with a violent student recently. The student often comes into class upset, but I am usually proactive and help the child calm down before class starts. On this particular occasion, that approach didn't work. When the student began throwing a temper tantrum and the other students became worried, this merely enraged the student more. A violent outburst ensued, and I needed to call security. Make sure you know the extension before you need it. It just so happened that I had never been told (or admittedly looked for it myself) the extension to call, so mid-outburst, I was looking through the handbook for the number. During that extra minute, something awful could have happened. I should have been more prepared.
 
Other than that, my pacing is improving - though sometimes it is still difficult when I'm creating lesson plans to figure out exactly how long each segment will take in order for the students to complete a specific task. Some things that should be easy take an excruciatingly long time, while other tasks that you think will take quite a while are done in no time and you have to come up with an additional activity quick! I often ask my CT for advice on this issue, but it gets easier to plan as I gain experience. Classroom management with one group is still a nightmare. If anyone has expertise on how to get a really chatty group of kids to just stop talking for 5 minutes, let me know. Seriously, respond to this message if you have a great idea. I have tried everything, from humor to detentions (also proximity, the teacher glare, changing seats, and so on). Some kids have really improved as I've built rapport with them, but others sincerely do not care to be in school at this point in their lives. I wish I could magically bestow a work ethic and a desire to learn onto them.
 
Savvy Suggestion: Another thing that professors will tell you that is absolutely true is that people in this profession talk and your reputation will spread - so make it a good one! I just learned that someone was having a conversation about me at a completely different school, and I don't know who the connection is. I don't think it is my CT, so who's doing the talking? Hmmmm...it's really strange. I'm pretty confident that I'm doing the best job I possibly can, so I prefer to imagine that the conversation was positive. Work hard, be true to yourself, and eagerly learn as much as possible! It goes without saying that you should be professional at all times - be on time, dress the part, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment