A blog for the teacher-in-training!

A blog for the teacher-in-training!

Saturday, August 20, 2011

And the student teaching assignment goes to.....

I was given my student-teaching assignment today. It wasn’t my first choice; it wasn’t my second choice, but I couldn’t be happier. After all, I thought: this is a metaphor for teaching. A teacher doesn’t always have the opportunity to choose which grade-level he/she teaches, what subject, which planning periods he/she gets, or when a fire-drill will happen. A teacher deals with the unexpected, constantly, and adapts. Not only is this a necessity for the teaching profession, but think about what a great lesson that is to model for our students!
My first day in the classroom will be September 6th. Prior to that date, I will be meeting with my university field supervisor and my cooperative teacher to coordinate expectations, develop our relationships, and clarify objectives. I have already located my cooperative teacher through her webpage via the district’s website and know that we share a life-long love of learning. I hope this also means that she will be patient with me as I learn this semester. The role of student-teacher is a strange one, as I will be both teaching and learning, but I plan to do so with enthusiasm (even if I’m terrified on the inside). I will be honest with you all about every step of the way – the scary moments, the embarrassing moments, the moments I want to scream, and the moments of sheer joy – including the first time I see a look of comprehension on a student’s face during a lesson I teach. Until next time…
Savvy Suggestion: Before you meet with your university supervisor and cooperative teacher, learn as much as you can about the school you will be working in and the teacher you will be working with & learning from. Not only does it show them that you are prepared, it shows them that you care and are dedicated to doing the very best job you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment