A blog for the teacher-in-training!

A blog for the teacher-in-training!

Sunday, December 11, 2011

The end & the beginning


Whew! That was an intense experience. I have completed the 14-week student teaching program, and I can breathe a sigh of relief (at least until I consider the job market). During my last week, my university supervisor met with my cooperating teacher to discuss my progress, my strengths, and my opportunities for improvement. Then, they agreed on my grade while I waited patiently outside the classroom. Once my supervisor informed me that I was successful, and we talked about my future in the profession, my paperwork was completed in order for UTD to request certification from the state. I previously applied online for certification and completed the fingerprinting process, so I'll be ready to go when my skills and eagerness match up with a career opportunity. I expect my offical certificate to be ready in January! I have applied online for a teaching position, and we'll see what happens...until then, I will substitute-teach. Mid-year is a strange time to graduate and seek a position, but you never know what can happen.

The kids were great on my last day; they gave me cards, best wishes, and hugs. Some even cried, and I saw how true it is that a teacher can really impact the lives of his/her students. I will miss them all, and I have to remind myself that I am not abandoning them - this is a natural part of the process, though I can't help but feel as though I'm leaving them at a strange time. Maybe it doesn't feel this way when you student teach in spring, because then everyone is geared up for the summer break. I care about all my students, and I hope to see them again.

It has not yet fully sunk in that I am a professional now. I am a teacher. I am no longer a student. I am no longer nervous standing in front of a class. I have survived spontaneous walk-throughs by administrators, last-minute changes to lesson plans, and a classroom brawl. I have navigated parent-teacher conferences, faculty meetings, and avoided the negativity in the teachers' lounge. I am confident that even when I make a mistake, it can be used as a teaching opportunity, and that even on my bad days, I still provide my students with valuable lessons. I am ready for my classroom, and I can't wait to meet my students.

Of course I will continue to grow as an educator during my first year of teaching and beyond. Teaching is a profession that requires constant learning, growth, and additional training. I will continue to hone my skills, seek out the best resources for my students, and learn which procedures work best in my class.

I wish all of you on a parallel journey the best of luck. For those of you about to embark on this educational odyssey, you need only to look back at my earlier posts to see what an emotional, at times scary, but ultimately rewarding experience this is. If you are thinking about the teacher certification program at the University of Texas at Dallas, rest assured that it is worth the hard work. Yes, a lot is asked of you. You will need to pass your certification exams prior to student teaching, for example; however, you will be supported by the program, be well-prepared for the profession, and enjoy the esteem that comes along with graduating from UTD's program. Whatever your circumstances, thank you for taking this journey with me. I hope I have given you a little insight into the challenges and rewards of student teaching.

Savvy Suggestion: Always remember what teaching is really about, and don't get bogged down by anything else. It's all background noise compared to what you are really doing to help your students. Teachers make all other professions possible; teachers make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment